Monday, November 2, 2009

Review: abcteach


Doing a unit study? Wouldn't a word search or custom handwriting sheet based on your study be great? Or perhaps your child needs a little extra practice on a concept before moving on in the textbook? Is an extra page of triple-digit multiplication in order?

Have you ever gone on an internet search with a particular worksheet in mind? If you have, you may come across the abcteach website, with over 5000 free printables and worksheets available. However, the free printables are just a small sampling of what is available through an abcteach subscription.

What is the benefit of subscribing to abcteach? For starters, members have access to over 35,000 printables and worksheets, with new material being added each week. Categories range from basic subjects to theme units to seasonal worksheets, covering levels pre-K- 8th.


Also included are an extensive clip art gallery, with over 6,500 options, and abctools. If you are interested in custom worksheet, abctools is your answer. You can try this worksheet generator out on the website with sample documents. For a video tour and a complete list of membership benefits, click here.

I was given a 1-month subscription to abcteach in order to do this review. I found all they have to offer is a little bit overwhelming! There are worksheets from basic multiplication problems, book units, games, parent resources, graphic organizers and everything in between. At the time of my membership, my daughter was taking a persuasion writing class and had just covered common fallacies in class. I was surprised to find a complete collection of worksheets on logical fallacies to reinforce what she learned in class.

I particularly liked the abctools for custom worksheets. It seems that every time I search the internet for a specific worksheet, I come away empty. With the abctools, you can quickly create worksheets on any topic specific to your needs.

Now, I have to admit that I'm not much of a worksheet gal when looking for supplemental material.
If I were, abctools would definitely catch my attention. I tend to look for online video clips, DVDs or games instead, but there are occasions that I have a specific worksheet in mind and I just can't find it. An abcteach subscription would be perfect for such an occasion. I can see large families with several children in the pre-K-8 range benefiting from such a subscription as well as co-op teachers. We homeschooling moms are busy enough that we don't need to be spending our time searching for worksheets on the internet!

You can purchase an abcteach subscription for $40 per year* for individual users. There are also discounts available for group purchases, starting at 10 or more. Gift memberships are also available. Visit the abcteach website to find out more about the offerings or to buy a subscription.

*Note: Through Nov. 30th, Homeschool Buyers Co-op is offering abcteach at a 50% discount!

Visit the TOS Homeschool Crew's blog to read more reviews on this product and others.

Disclaimer: This review was provided as a result in my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Crew, a team of 100+ homeschooling parents. While the product was provided at no expense to me in order to provide this review, I have not received any other compensation. Furthermore, receipt of the product does not guarantee a positive review. I strive to give a balanced overview of each product, detailing my opinion of both pros and cons and how the product worked for my family. What works for one family may not work for another. I encourage you to read reviews of other Crew members and research sufficiently to determine if any product will be a benefit to your homeschool.


1 comment:

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

Good review! I've found this site several times when I search for lapbooking ideas and printables, but wasn't sure if a subscription would be worthwhile. I'll go check out more reviews from the Crew! ;0)