Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Studypod by Genio

I love study aids and gadgets. I've purchased gizmos to hold papers hands-free, booklights of various sorts, a portable typing device that allows you to transfer work to the computer, aids to help with tracking when reading and book holders. Anything to make the studying process easier and refocus on learning is a potential purchase for our homeschool.

When the Crew was informed a Studypod by Genio would soon arrive, I hadn't an inkling what it could be. After a quick visit to the website, I saw that it was a book holder. While a book holder is already among our study tools, just as one can never have too many books, any extra book holders are welcome in my home! I wasn't sure how innovative a book holder could be, but I would soon find out.

Designed by a teacher and students, the Studypod is quite the gadget. After several simple steps to set up, the Studypod is ready to use. An instruction sheet comes with the product but I didn't need it after the first set-up. The video below should answer all your questions on putting your Studypod to work. With the adjustable support arms, it can hold virtually any size book. It is lightweight and collapses to a size similar to that of a hardcover novel, making storage and portability a cinch. A storage pocket is located on the inside and there is additional room to hold pens, pencils, and a calculator.



One of the main advantages of this book holder over others on the market is the angle which it holds the book. Similar in angle to a computer screen, the Studypod reduces neck strain and helps to maximize focus. Below is the Studypod (right) and another brand book holder (left) we've used in past for side-by-side comparison of the difference in angle. Also note that the Studypod takes up less valuable desk space.

The angle of Studypod is especially helpful when using a text with a computer. My daughter has online classes and she loved using the Studypod to hold her course text for reference, leaving her hands free to use the keyboard and mouse for class interaction.


The arms that hold the pages open and secure are another unique feature. No more flipping of pages and loosing your place in the middle of a project. One of the first uses of the Studypod in our household was to prop up a drawing book. Similarly, it would be perfect for holding open cookbooks and music pages for hands-free reference. To turn the page, just slip the page out from the arm or pull the arm back to completely release the page. I loved that the arms adjusted to the size of the book. The book holder we previously owned was too large for the book being used in the above picture. The Studypod can hold both our large textbooks and smaller paperbacks.

Since my daughter has claimed the Studypod as her own, I'll have to take advantage of the a $5 off coupon that Genio is offering for one of my very own. Just enter code TSBLOG5 when placing your online order. The Studypod is available in black, blue or pink and retails for $19.95 or two or more for $16.95/each. To order, visit the Studypod website.

Visit the TOS Homeschool Crew's blog to read more reviews on this product and others.

Disclaimer: This review was provided as a result in my participation in The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Crew, a team of 100+ homeschooling parents. While the product was provided at no expense to me in order to provide this review, I have not received any other compensation. Furthermore, receipt of the product does not guarantee a positive review. I strive to give a balanced overview of each product, detailing my opinion of both pros and cons and how the product worked for my family. What works for one family may not work for another. I encourage you to read reviews of other Crew members and research sufficiently to determine if any product will be a benefit to your homeschool.

No comments: