I thought I'd share my favorite potato soup recipe for Homeschool Mosaics' Recipe Carnival.
Best-Ever Potato Soup
6 bacon strips, diced
3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 small carrot, grated
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 T dried parsley flakes
1/2 t each celery seed, salt, and pepper
3 T all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
8 ounces precess American cheese, cubed
2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add potatoes, broth, carrot, cnion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes). Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese and stir under melted and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onion.
- I tried skipping the celery seed once because I was out. Don't! It really is a critical ingredient in my opinion.
- I like this recipe even better with ham instead of bacon. When I make a large ham, I always chop some up and put it in the freezer just for this soup.
- I often use extra broth if I have it and just add a few more potatoes and seasonings. I find the recipe very forgiving.
- Usually I use Velvetta in this recipe, as much as it pains me! I made it tonight with real cheddar cheese. It still tasted great, but I find the Velvetta tastes better.
- Sometimes I take a masher to the potatoes, but I often leave them in chucks. It seems heartier that way.