Thursday, December 23, 2010

A little splurge on frothy milk

I mentioned a while back that I was getting the opportunity to review another item from CSN Stores.  Last time I went completely practical and purchased a steam mop for my kitchen floor.  This time I was a little more self-indulgent; I ordered a milk frother. There were several different choices, but I ended up with the BonJour Cafe Latte in Black for $19.95.

To be honest, I didn't know such a think existed until I was browsing on CSN Stores. Being one who enjoys a specialty chai, foamy milk included, from the local coffee house, the idea of a less-expensive homemade version was appealing.  I have a concentrate chai mix that I like, but my homemade lattes have been absent of any frothed milk.  Until now, that is.

This little gizmo has a powerful spin.  It took me a couple of minutes to get enough foam to be able to spoon it onto my drink.  But when I was done, it did make my drink look extra special.  I don't use it every time I make my chai.  After all, sometimes I'm simply more concerned about getting caffeine in me as quick as possible and I don't care much about presentation.  However, when I have the time, or when I'm serving guests, this gadget certainly will make those homemade drinks closer to the expensive cafe variety.  My only complaint about this model is that the batteries were very difficult to put in.  It isn't so much the batteries, but getting the cover back on properly.  It is a small inconvenience for a little milk foam on top of a warm cup of tea.

Of course, you aren't limited to using it on chai.  It comes with some recipes, and I plan to try it on good 'ole hot chocolate, with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top, soon.  Yum.

No comments: