Wednesday, February 16, 2011

And the Kindle wins...

For over a year,  I've been contemplating a Kindle, Nook, or some other reading device. When the price for a Kindle dropped, and then the new Nook color came out, I thought about it even more.  The problem...I didn't know which one, nor if I would really use it regardless of how much I wanted one.  I liked that I could check out library books with the Nook.  Kindle is not compatible with the loaning program and many titles on Google books as well.  However, I also learned that Calibre could possibly convert files.  More thinking.

However, after I looked at all the free titles available directly from Amazon, in addition to having $100 from Christmas gift cards, I was quickly swayed to go the Kindle route.  While the Kindle seems to be neck-in-neck with the Nook for the ereader race, I felt they had a slight edge in the market overall.  I also didn't have to come up with a bunch of cash to purchase one since I had the gift cards.  In the end, I figured that when we are talking about the ability to carry thousands of books in a purse, one really couldn't go wrong either way .

My new toy arrived yesterday.  I love it already!  I also realized that I'll have to keep this thing under security after watching my daughter eyeball it.  Maybe I can convince her to get a Nook and we can compare. For now, the Kindle wins in my household.

5 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

Awesome! I love mine. Honestly, I probably would have loved a Nook also but I made the decision after much research between the two and am super happy. I'm sure you'll love yours forever! :)

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

Congratulations! The boy got Ipod touches for "tax day" wtih their christmas and birthday monies - I love reading on it - although it is really hard to comment on blogs - but it has almost gotten me convinced that I'd use the kindle. ;) Almost.

Heidi said...

Convince me! I've been sitting on the idea and have enough gift cards now to get one for free. I just need someone to push me over the edge and hit "submit" on my order. LOL HELP!

Heidi said...

Heidi,

Submit the order! If you've been thinking about it that long, you just need to go for it.

My reasoning was that I didn't want to spend my gift cards on something completely practical. I wanted to splurge! I don't even have a book on mine yet; I'm still reading the manual. But it fits perfectly in my (small)purse and the thought of having reading material with me at all times...

I figure even if I use it for only the free titles, I'll get plenty of use out of it.

It is not great for surfing the web (no touch screen). For reading, though, I think you'll be happy.

slehan said...

I'm a big library user so the ability to get books from the library onto an e-reader would make the Nook a better choice for me. Too bad the Kindle can't do that.