Monday, January 17, 2011

Lingering boyhood, emerging young man

My husband came excitedly running into the house this weekend and told me I needed to bring my camera outside.

This is what I saw:


My 11-year-old son, all 78 pounds of him, was clearing the driveway of the latest snowfall.  He looks so grown-up and such a little guy, all at the same time.  Isn’t that so typical of this preteen age?

My son typically hangs out with older boys, most of whom have hit that first growth spurt of the early teens.  He looks so small compared to most of them, and it is hard to remember that his time is coming soon.

However, when I see sights like this, it reminds me that he isn’t a little boy anymore.  He’s right on the cusp of coming into his own.  It is exciting so see, to an extent.  It also makes a mama a bit sad, though, when her youngest is now old enough to go clear the driveway.  My only consolation is that I know he’ll likely go out and play in the snow drifts created by his “man work”.  Snowy days, Legos, and pretend battles with pewter soldiers show evidence that a boy still lingers about.

My husband, however, had no sadness about him.  He’s been looking forward to the day when he could say, “Son, go clear the driveway.”

No comments: