Thursday, September 1, 2011

But I Don't Want to Be Like Betty!

This is crazy; my email somehow got on the distribution list for AARP!  Granted, I'm not necessarily young, but at 41, I'm hardly ready for AARP. Yet, I keep on getting emails with pleads to join AAPR so I can "live life to the fullest".  Today's email suggested I could be "Be Like Betty"....Betty White, that is.
While I remember watching The Golden Girls in the 80s, I can't exactly remember aspiring to "be like Betty" as a tween.  And guess what? I don't want to be her in my middle-aged years either.  No offense to Betty White.  I'm sure she's a nice person and all.  A very, nice 89-year-old person. 

But there are at lot of other people I'd like to be like.  The fellow homeschooler that seems to have more hours in her day than the rest of us...how does she do it?  Or the person in the church band that has a beautiful voice, very unlike my own voice that inspires others to cover their ears.  Oh, and the disciplined jogger with the trim body that passes by my house every day. I wish I'd be that motivated. That very patient mom...yeah, I'd like to be like her, too. 

I'm certainly not old enough to "Be Like Betty", so I have no idea how I even got into the sights of AARP. However, the good thing is, I don't need to pay $16/month and get a free travel bag to try to "be like" anyone.  Aside from the beautiful voice, I pretty much have control at striving toward certain qualities "to be" like those I admire, and making those qualities of my own. At 41, I have many more years to practice on improving myself. Sorry, Betty and AARP.

2 comments:

Diane Allen said...

First they start playing "your" songs on the oldie shows on Saturday afternoon radio. Then you get the AARP mailings. I feel your pain!

Heidi said...

Diane - Yes, it doesn't help when my son asks me if I recognize the "oldie" song on the radio, and it is from the 80s!